Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday's Food Finds

All week I am all over the Internet blogging about food, commenting about food, reading about food and finding tons and tons of stuff! I simply can NOT dedicate a single post to each individual find, so here's what I am going to do: I am going to give you a CliffNotes version of some foodie finds that I think you might all be interested in, so you have stuff to read and tinker with over the weekend! Here it goes:

Food Web Sites and Tools
  • two foods Here is a neat little tool for food nutrition comparisons. Let's say you are faced with almonds and cashews and you don't have a particular craving for one over the other, but you are curious about the nutritional facts run-down for each. Enter two foods. Type in each type of nut and click "Compare!" here's what you'll see:

    Casabella Silicone Cutting Board, Set of 4
  •  Casabella Cutting Boards (set of 4) One concern in a kitchen is cross-contamination. To be honest, this is not something I ever thought of before I started watching all these chefs on TV - I had one cutting board that I washed in between uses. I am not a big fan of lots of stuff cluttering up my kitchen, so when I found these cutting "boards" I was super happy. They are super skinny, flexible and take up less space than my old cutting board! They have to be hand washed, but their bright colors and cute graphics make them so easy for me to use and keep straight! If you are looking into purchasing separate cutting boards for poultry, beef, fish and veggies, I highly recommend this very durable and affordable option!
Food Reads
  • The perils of food nutrition and research This post from Marion Nestle on her Food Politics blog addresses issues that arise in all arenas of research - poorly designed studies, misread data and highly elevated claims. I taught Statistics before going on my medical leave and often take for granted that people can decipher the difference between a good study and one that can be thoroughly misleading. It is unfortunate that our media does not filter this for us. All "studies" should first be questioned: Who ran this study? Why did they run this study? How did they collect this data? ...I think you get the idea. For now I will leave you with Dr. Nestle's article, but we shall revisit this topic on the Searching for Sustenance blog!
  • Eco-farming Could Double Food Output of Poor Countries, Says UN One of the huge arguments for industrialized agriculture is that it feeds the world. It is argued that the technology brought to the land is, in many places, the only hope. Well, the UN brings up some contrary evidence reported here. Excellent information.
Good Food (Recipes)
  •  Raw Chili Cheese Fries My husband and I discovered our deep connection with chili cheese fries on our first vacation together to Walt Disney World - they were amazing! Since seeing the light about the insanity of our ways (we were eating them all the time after that vacation), we have cut out this delectable treat. When I found Poppy's recipe from her first adventure at a Raw Foods Class this week on her From Fried Chicken to TOFU blog, I knew I found something I would have to try and share.  So, I am getting my shopping list together, but let us know how s goes if you get to it first!
  • The Homemade Twix Bar (...because I can't). OK, OK I know... I am usually preaching all wonderful kind of healthy stuff, but this would be HOME-MADE - that has to count for something! And I would really like to live vicariously through you! Twix are one of my favorite bars and with my dairy-free/gluten-free life, I have also been Twix-free! Kim at Incandescent Blue Flame is the one who exposed me to this torture earlier this week. I forgive her, but it was rough at first ;)
Food FiGHTS
  • Rally for the Right to Know on March 26, 2011 in Washington, DC  is getting organized. Millions Against Monsanto - RALLY FOR THE RIGHT TO KNOW - Genetically Modified Foods need to be labeled! Saturday, March 26, 2011, 11am - 3pm on The White House Sidewalk. The mission: Spread awareness of genetically modified foods and Monsanto's increasing monopoly of our foods. To get involved, either visit their facebook page, or e-mail millionsagainst@gmail.com
  • Protect Food & Water Safety Funding
Do you have a food website, tool, food read, recipe or food fight you think I should check out and share with the readers of Searching for Sustenance? If so e-mail me at BlogWithNV@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Usability Testing / userfly.com

usability studies by userfly

Action Alerts RSS Feed | Food & Water Watch