Here's what I am looking forward to tomorrow morning at the market:
- Buying food in a relaxed, stress-free atmosphere, where people wear smiles, breathe the outside air and are lit by the sun.
- Smelling the fresh fruit as I walk by each stand in my preliminary first round walk-by before any purchases.
- Garlic. According to the e-mail I received, one of the garlic farmers will be there tomorrow. Last year I made the mistake of overlooking garlic at the market until its last week of availability - I have longed for it ever since.
- All of the unexpected goodies I will be grabbing on my trip! I have planned nothing beyond the garlic, so I am excited to see what I end up with.
- Talking to the farmers from the Staten Island Family Farm. I don't think they have a stand over at "my" market, so I would like to talk to them about their farming on this island and whether or not they have any tips for my small growing adventure.
If you are curious about the details of this Greenmarket, here is a copy of the e-mail I received earlier this week:
The St. George Greenmarket reopens this Saturday, May 7th
Overlooking New York Harbor and the downtown Manhattan skyline, theSt. George Greenmarket has a dedicated following and an excellent selection of products that have been grown and raised on regional family farms making it a one-stop shopping destination. Six vegetable growers, including the Island's very own Staten Island Family Farm, sell an array of items from Bulich Creekside Farm's mushrooms to Rabbit Run Farm's heirloom tomatoes, greens, and meat. Don't miss Fantasy Fruit Farm's juicy summer berries, Red Jacket Orchard's famous apricots and juices, breads, baked goods and granola from Not Just Rugelach, and American Seafood's fresh caught fish.
American Seafood Wild caught seafood from Suffolk County, NY.Bulich's Creekside Farm Vegetables from Greene County, NY.Charlie's Garlic and Produce Vegetables and garlic from Delaware County, NY.Dipaola Turkey Turkey from Mercer County, NJ.El Mirador Farm Vegetables, Mexican specialty produce, and herbs from Monmouth County, NJ. A New Farmer Development Project Participant.Fantasy Fruit Farm Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and small fruits from Chenago County, NY.Gerardi's Farm Orchard fruit from Cumberland County, NJ.Not Just Ruguleh Baked goods from Hudson County, NJ.R & G Produce Vegetables from Orange County, NY.Rabbit Run Farm Certified Organic vegetables and meats from Bucks County, PA.Red Jacket Orchards Apples, plums, cherries, apricots, peaches, berries from Ontario County, NY.Staten Island Family Farm Vegetables, Mexican specialty produce from Richmond County, New York. A New Farmer Development Project participant
Market InformationSt Marks Place and Hyatt St, in the parking lot next to the St George TheaterSaturdays 8am - 2pm May 7 - Nov 19EBT/Food Stamps, Debit/Credit, and WIC & FMNP checks accepted!