Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Gluten Free Chex Cereals

It's Tuesday, so, for me , that means I have a Twitter party tonight. I signed up for it a number of months ago, just to see what a Twitter party was all about, but I had not considered the consequences of participating in a Twitter party hosted by MultiGrain Cheerios every week that the season of The Biggest Loser Couples is on.
This box arrived this Saturday.
I keep "winning" boxes of MultiGrain Cheerios (I am up to my fifth box now). Don't get me wrong, I love free things, but I can't eat Cheerios - they have gluten in them... big time. So, a couple of weeks ago I asked during the twitter party when Cheerios would be making their own Gluten-Free cereal line. The response was simple - you need to go try all of the Gluten-Free Chex cereals out there for you.

That was true. It was something I was planning to do anyway, so I decided my next cereal purchase would be a Gluten-Free Chex Cereal.

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Chex

There is something about cinnamon that simply screams breakfast to me, so, when I saw my options, I decided the first Chex cereal I wanted to try was the Cinnamon one!

Upon opening the box I was overwhelmed with the delicious aroma. The taste of the cereal was delicious and brought me back to my childhood memories of waking up early on Saturday mornings with my little brother to watch Muppet Babies and the rest of our Saturday morning line-up.

This was fun for its nostalgic sense, but I immediately recognized it for what it truly was: sugar! I grew up on Fruit Loops, Honey Smacks and Cocoa Krispies - this cereal was just as "fun" as those cereals. Needless to say, I loved it!

As a long term addition to my pantry, I think I would have to say that the Gluten-Free Chex will definitely find a home as a sometimes snack when I am looking for something sweet. I haven't explored any of the Chex mix recipes yet, but I did eat them plain, without any milk while watching a movie one night and that was enough for me.

Gluten-Free Corn Chex

After my sweet introduction to the Chex cereals, I decided that my next purchase should take a more mundane path. I purchased the Corn Chex.

It wasn't until I actually started eating this cereal that I made a discovery about my own life-long cereal preferences: I don't really like "corn" cereals all that much, but I do love crunch!

As I ate the Corn Chex I was reminded of my grandfather's daily breakfast: a bowl of Corn Flakes with a half grapefruit. He lived for 96 years on this and seemed to legitimately enjoy it, so I have tried Corn Flakes a number of times figuring it was one of life's big secrets to longevity.

The Corn Chex had the same basic corn flavor as the Corn Flakes, with a little more crunch and a but more airiness (I think from all of the holes). As a personal preference, this is not my favorite Gluten-Free Chex, but I think it would be awesome for anyone who likes corn-based cereals and could also probably be lots of fun with some berries!

Gluten-Free Honey Nut Chex

Not too long before finding out I had to cut gluten out of my diet I had my taste of Honey Nut Cheerios. Oh what fun they were! All the years wasted!! I was an avid plain Cheerios lover, but I had never explored the alternative brought to me by that silly little bee. When I saw that Chex had a Honey Nut variation, I knew I should not make the same mistake again - I would try them right away to know what my options were.

The honey is evident in every spoonful (as it should be) and, for me, makes this cereal a little bit better as a finger food than in a bowl with milk. I opted to write this post before trying any Chex mix recipes for any of the cereals I purchased, but I can definitely see the potential in this cereal.

I was surprised, at first, to find that this cereal has more sugar in it per serving than the Cinnamon Chex cereal, but I suppose that is due to the honey.

Gluten-Free Rice Chex

Once I had my epiphany about my lack of love for Corn flavored cereals, in general, I started to wonder, "What do I like, then?" And then it came to me, and it really was no surprise: RICE. Well, really, in terms of cereal it was rice and wheat, but one of those, medically, had to go. 

I was excited about getting the Gluten-Free Rice cereal, figuring it was exactly what I was waiting for! It kind of was. It is plain rice crunchiness. I do like it (I still miss my Special K) and will most likely have this cereal in my pantry quite often.

Since it does not have any overpowering flavors of its own, I do imagine that this will also be a fun addition to a Gluten-free Chex Mix.

Gluten-Free Chocolate Chex

As I mentioned above, I was a big fan of Cocoa Krispies as a child, so chocolate flavored cereals are tasty treats that intrigue me. I was really looking forward to this part of my taste test. Each time I went back to my grocery store I searched up and down, but it could not be found!
I have not given up, but I did not want to hold up this post as I continue my quest! I SHALL FIND MY CHOCOLATE BREAKFAST TREAT!! ...and then I will return to share my findings with you, since that is the real reason I am so desperately looking for it!


MY CONCLUSIONS 

Overall Favorite for 
  • Every-day Cereal: Gluten-Free Rice Chex
  • Yummy Snack Fun: Gluten-Free Cinnamon Chex
  • Chex Mix Ingredient: Gluten-Free Rice Chex (**this is based on an impression only, no tests were performed in this category yet)
Least Favorite: Gluten-Free Corn Chex


Have you tried the Gluten-free Chex Cereals yet? What are your impressions? Which is your fav? DID YOU FIND THE CHOCOLATE??


*If you are interested in The Biggest Loser/MultiGrain Cheerios Twitter Party head over to twitter when The Biggest Loser begins tonight and follow #MGCheerios. Here is a tweet from MGCheerios, inviting all in the twitter-verse:
Join us next week when @BiggestLoserNBC airs Tues at 8 PM ET on @NBC for more ways to help become the BL at Home #BL11 #MGCheerios

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Usability Testing / userfly.com

usability studies by userfly

Action Alerts RSS Feed | Food & Water Watch