Thursday, February 17, 2011

Urban Organic

19 bucks I definitely could do, to try it out!!
Back in October I finally figured out that Groupon was pretty neat and got on board. Fall is a pretty crazy time around here (lots of birthdays) and the holidays were coming near, so I thought I would be able to find lots of cool gifts for everyone. Then, one morning, the Groupon deal seemed to be made for ME, not anyone else. It was a Groupon for a company called Urban Organic, a home-delivery service of organic produce and groceries. Since losing the ability to drive and, oftentimes being overwhelmed with my crazy "brain fog" and/or super headaches (thank you intracranial hypertension) when shopping and reading label and after label, I am stuck waiting for a grocery shopping buddy who may or may not be 100% on board with my quest for good foods and how long it takes me to find them. And it always takes me a long time to find them!

Last night, though, they showed up at my door, in a nicely sealed box with a friendly driver. Here is what I received:
Almost everything fit into this picture.
  • broccoli
  • carrots
  • green leaf lettuce
  • russet potatoes
  • kale 
  • spinach
  • zucchini **
  • grapefruit
  • red delicious apples
  • hamlon oranges
  • bananas
  • lemons
  • yellow onions  **
  • d'anjou pears **
  • kiwi
This box ("Value Box") would have cost me just under forty dollars without the Groupon, and if one "subscribes: it would be weekly. However, there are other options:
  • The Little Box $24.99  which does not include the starred items above.
  • The Extra-Value Box $44.99 which includes everything my box does, just more of it, and
  • the Juice Box $34.99 which includes ten items each week.
The items in the box change as the availability of certain product do, so you can check the Urban Organic website each week to see what will be coming in. They operate out of Brooklyn, NY, this is their current delivery area, schedule and fees:

To be honest, I know I can't afford to do this every week at full price right now. Maybe we can swing the Little Box, but back in October, when I was still getting paid, $19 for a food experiment wasn't out of the question! I am going to work through this box, making it last as long as possible and getting the most out of it and then deciding if I'll get another box for the first week of March. I'll tell you oe thing though... if I were still working, getting paid and all of that, I think I would be all over this! Opening that box last night was like Christmas all over!!

However, rumor has it, that if someone else signs up as a member based on my referral, I get my next box FREE, so if any of you locals decide to check out Urban Organic, just make sure to tell them Nicole Rivera from Staten Island sent you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Usability Testing / userfly.com

usability studies by userfly

Action Alerts RSS Feed | Food & Water Watch