Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dr. Oz This Week: Panel About GMOs

I am always on the lookout for more information on genetically modified foods, seeds and animals in my search for healthy, safe foods to eat. I am displeased with the current state of our food industry that sells many GM foods without labeling them at all. I believe that if the public was made aware during the purchase process how much of their food actually did come from a GM product, then they would, in fact, be energized to take action on this topic. I have written before about shopping guides you can use to avoid buying GMOs, actions you can take to stop new GM foods from making it to our tables and how my eyes first began to open to these horrors. However, I am still no expert and, in my endless calling as a life-long learner, I seem to have found two new resources today in one glance at my computer screen.

Tune in to The Dr. Oz Show on December 7, 2010

Here is the first announcement that caught my eye on the Foodie Blog Roll website today:

"The nation will be watching when Jeffrey Smith takes the stage at the Dr. Oz Show this Tuesday, December 7th, to share the health dangers of genetically modified foods with Dr. Oz and his audience. Rounding out the non-GMO side of the panel for this segment will be another outstanding non-GMO advocate, Dr. Michael Hansen of the Consumers Union. Dr. Pamela Ronald, a pro-GM scientist who has been proposing that organic foods include GMOs is also included."
This panel sounds fascinating. Jeffrey Smith is a well-known expert in the field of genetically modified organisms, having written the book Seeds of Deception and Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods. Dr. Michael Hansen has also been outspoken against GMOs concerning allergy risks and unethical acts of Monsanto. Dr. Pamela Ronald also seems to be a super intriguing guest - a Professor of Plant Pathology, married to an organic farmer. I just discovered her blog Tomorrow's Table, and am curious about her views. Her specialization seems to be in genetically modified rice, using genetic to help the rice survive flooding. I won't only be tuning in to this episode, I will be recording it on my DVR.


An Opportunity to Win A FREE Book

Along with the notice about The Dr. Oz Show on the Foodie Blog Roll site, is a contest to win a copy of Jeffrey Smith's book Seeds of Deception. I have not yet read the book myself, so I can not give you a quick review, but I can say that I am entering the contest and if I don't win, I am going to get this book. What this book and The Dr. Oz Show offer are more perspectives on this topic. I find it important when learning things to hear about them from as many perspectives as possible in order to come to my own truth.

For now, there are two ways to see if this book is for you:
  • Check out the book's web page, and
  • Check out the author on The Dr. Oz Show this Tuesday

I imagine there will be more to discuss later in the week on this topic, but for now it would be great to hear from you!
Where do you fall in the GMO debate? Is it on your radar yet? Have you picked a side yet? If so, what is it and why? I am, as I mentioned above, intrigued by Dr. Ronald's perspective and am wondering if anyone else feels the same way. Thanks.
Other Book By Jeffrey Smith:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Usability Testing / userfly.com

usability studies by userfly

Action Alerts RSS Feed | Food & Water Watch