Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Take Action Tuesday

It is Election Day, so I have politics on my mind and when it comes to my blog that leads to food politics. I have been recording this show from the Cooking Channel on my DVR called My Life in Food. After you take a quick look at the run-down of the episodes aired so far, you will understand why. Anyway, the episode I just recently watched was all about food safety and it brought two things to my attention that I wanted to note here so 1. I wouldn't forget, and 2. I could share them with those of you following along.

S.T.O.P.

Safe Tables Our Priority, or S.T.O.P., is an organization fighting for food safety legislation in order to save lives. The organization began with a group of families that had lost family members from an E. coli outbreak. They fight now so that others will not have to go through their own suffering. Their website seems pretty extensive, including a place for you to sign up for e-alerts so you can be notified of any outbreaks as soon as the news breaks. This seems like a really great organization to support in the food fight.



Safe Food

Also on the episode was an interview with an author of a book on Safe Food, Marion Nestle. The book seems intriguing to me, discussing the politics of food safety in America. I have not picked it up yet (I have to check to see if it is available in digital form), but this seems like something that is right up my alley.
After doing a quick Google search of Marion Nestle I see that she has a number of books out and now I know why her name is so familiar to me - she is the author of What to Eat, another book I started reading before my eyes gave up on me! I think Marion Nestle will be one of my "food friends." Oh Wow! I just found her food blog called Food Politics - how cool is this? She has even written books on pet food politics! OK, let's simplify this, for your perusal, here is a link for books found under a Marion Nestle search, so you can get a feel for what's available to you: Search Amazon.com for Marion Nestle.


Since I have declared it "Take Action Tuesday" I am keeping it short so you can get out there and go DO something. First of all, fellow Americas: GO VOTE. Then, when you are done, either stay in your political mindset and check out Marion Nestle's blog, go to the S.T.O.P. website, or any of the sites on my previous Taking Action post, or perhaps find a new book to educate yourself as to what you can do next.

And remember even the largest meals can be eaten in tiny little bites, so don't feel like you have to take it ALL on at once!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Usability Testing / userfly.com

usability studies by userfly

Action Alerts RSS Feed | Food & Water Watch